Large trucks weigh nearly five times as much as the average passenger vehicle on the road. If a truck rear-ends a car stopped at a stoplight, this can cause serious or fatal injuries to the passenger vehicle occupant. If you were injured in a truck accident, you could be eligible to recover compensation. Truck accident claims usually settle for more than the average passenger vehicle accident and are generally settled out of court. An experienced lawyer can offer guidance for your case and ensure that you are informed during each step of the process.
What Damages Can I Recover with a Truck Accident Claim?
Truck accident claims generally settle for significantly more than car accident claims. Commercial truck drivers are insured by large insurance companies and are required to carry general liability insurance. The average general liability policy for commercial trucks is between $300,000 to $1,000,000.00. The most common types of damages that can be recovered with a valid truck accident claim include:
- Medical Bills – If you have been injured in a truck accident, you could be eligible to recover the cost of medical bills, physical therapy, medicine, and other medical expenses from the crash
- Pain and Suffering – Truck accidents can be traumatizing and require counseling, therapy and medication to overcome. If you are experiencing mental or emotional distress after a truck accident, you could be eligible to recover compensation
- Lost Wages – If you had to miss work because of your injuries, you could receive reimbursement for lost wages caused by the crash
- Property Damages – If your vehicle or other personal property was damaged in the accident, you could be eligible to recover compensation for the cost of your vehicle, repair costs, or rental car fees that stemmed from the crash
- Wrongful Death – If someone is killed in a commercial truck accident their family members can recover damages for their loved one’s suffering. Any damages that their loved one could have recovered from the accident, the family is eligible to recover. Additionally, their spouse can recover loss of affection, otherwise known as “loss of consortium”
Is There a Limit to the Amount of Damages I Can Claim From a Truck Accident?
CDL drivers are expected to comply with federal regulations when behind the wheel. If a truck driver doesn’t follow these rules, they risk losing their license, their job, and hefty fines and fees. If you have been injured in a truck accident, you could be eligible to recover damages from both the driver and their employer. Your lawyer can determine what damages you are eligible to claim from the accident, obtain proof that the truck driver is directly employed by a company, and ensure that your case recovers the maximum amount of compensation for your suffering. There isn’t a limit to the amount of damages that can be recovered with a truck accident claim, unlike with car accident claims in certain no-fault states with damage caps. If there is proof that the truck driver caused the accident, is directly employed by a company, and that you sustained injuries or financial damages caused by the crash, you could be eligible to recover reimbursement for damages.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer to Help With My Truck Accident Claim?
After a truck accident, dozens of questions are likely running through your head. It’s essential to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible about the details of the crash. Large truck companies are insured by some of the most elite insurance companies in the industry. If you don’t act quickly after an accident and speak with your lawyer, their insurance agent could attempt to get an incriminating statement from you about the crash or other evidence to deny your claim. A truck accident lawyer can protect your rights, provide legal guidance for your case, and negotiate for the highest possible settlement.
Talk to a Lawyer About Your Truck Accident Case Today
At a minimum, truck drivers are required to have general liability and cargo insurance. If the truck driver that caused your accident is directly employed by a company, you could potentially recover between $75,000 to 5,000,000.00 from their insurance coverage depending on the severity of the crash, the validity of your claim, and the type of insurance they carry. If you need a lawyer to help with your truck accident case, contact the Dixon Injury Firm today. Our attorneys offer free consultations and are available 24/7 to help you with your case.