It’s never easy to lose someone that we are close to, but it can be especially difficult if the person that you lost is a close family member that was in a fatal car accident. If you are having a hard time figuring out what your options are for suing for damages after their death, consult a fatal car accident lawyer. Your lawyer will be able to offer guidance during this difficult time and ensure that there is justification for your family member’s death in a fatal car accident.
Who Can I Sue After Losing a Family Member in a Fatal Car Accident?
It can be tricky to know how to begin the legal process of dealing with your family member’s death from a car accident. Your family is likely still grieving and the last thing that you’ll probably feel like doing is researching your options for suing the negligent driver. It’s essential after a car accident to get a fatal car accident lawyer involved as soon as possible so that they can step in and take the reigns on getting compensation for your case. If the other driver is alive after the accident and they were at-fault, you may be able to sue them for damages with the help of your lawyer. Even though your deceased loved one won’t be able to give a statement on what happened in the accident, evidence can be powerful. Police reports, medical reports, witness accounts, and legal experience are all things that are critical factors in getting the most in compensation for your loved one’s death in a fatal car accident.
How Long Will It Take to Sue for Damages After Losing a Family Member in a Fatal Wreck?
There are a lot of moving factors after a car accident happens, much less a fatal crash. Some of the things that can affect how quickly your family will receive damages after losing your family member in a fatal wreck include:
- Was a police report filed?
- Was evidence from the crash preserved?
- Do you have the other driver’s contact and insurance information?
- Was your loved one at-fault for the accident or partially liable?
- Did you give an immediate statement to the insurance company about what happened?
- Is there a designated beneficiary for your loved one?
- Did you file an insurance claim by yourself or with the help of a fatal car accident lawyer?
What Damages Can Be Recovered After Losing a Family Member in a Fatal Car Accident?
Assuming that your deceased loved one wasn’t at-fault in the fatal car accident and they have designated beneficiaries, there are a handful of damages that can be recovered.
- Did your loved one incur any medical expenses from the accident, such as being airlifted, ambulance fees, medical treatment, or anything others? These medical expenses could be recovered
- Any expenses that occurred when burying your loved one such as funeral costs and burial costs can be recovered
- If you are the deceased’s spouse, has there been a loss of wages in the household because of your spouse’s death? If you can prove that there has been a decrease in your household’s income since your spouse died, their lost wages can potentially be recovered
- Have you or your children been unusually depressed or mentally distressed since your spouse passed? If you have sought out treatment from a mental health professional, costs of current and future treatment could be recovered with pain and suffering damages
- Have you felt a loss of affection since your spouse died? If you have been mentally or physically affected by the loss of affection that has occurred since your spouse passed, you may be eligible to recover loss of consortium damages
Talk to a Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
The sooner that a lawyer is involved in your family member’s death in a fatal car accident, the better chance there will be to receive the most in compensation. The other party’s insurance company may take advantage of your vulnerable state and attempt to get an immediate statement on what happened in the accident. This is a tactic that can be used to get you and your family to settle for a lower settlement for your family member’s death in the fatal car accident. Your lawyer will protect you from the other party’s insurance company and negotiate with their agent until you receive a settlement that you’re happy with.
If you’re searching for a fatal car accident lawyer, the Dixon Injury Firm is ready to help you and your family. Our personal injury attorneys are available 24/7, offer free consultations, and are committed to getting the most in compensation for our clients. To schedule your free consultation, contact us today to begin discussing the damages that you can sue for after losing a family member in a fatal car accident.