Under Missouri’s personal injury statutes, there are certain elements of a personal injury claim that must be proven in order for the plaintiff (the person seeking damages) to recover compensation.
In order to have a successful claim, our St. Louis personal injury lawyers will need to prove all of the following elements of your claim:
- You were owed a duty of care
- The duty of care was breached
- As a result of the breach of duty of care, you were injured or suffered losses
- Your injuries/losses led to measurable damages
For example, all motorists on the road have a responsibility to act in such a way as to keep others on the road safe by following traffic laws and taking reasonable actions to avoid accidents. This is their duty of care to others. When a motorist drives drunk or uses a cell phone to text while driving, they have breached their duty of care to others. If you were injured in an accident caused by a negligent driver, and you sustained economic and/or non-economic damages—such as medical care costs, lost income, or pain and suffering—you have grounds to file a personal injury claim.
Damages in Personal Injury Cases
First and foremost, all personal injury cases are different. As such, the specific damages that you will be entitled to, as well as the overall potential value of your case, will vary depending on the unique factors presents, including the type of injuries you sustained and how severe they are, whether or not you were partially liable for the accident, and more.
That being said, most personal injury claims seek certain damages on behalf of injured victims. These damages typically include:
- All medical costs associated with the accident-related injuries, such as ambulance fees, surgery costs, medication costs, and other one-time and ongoing medical expenses
- Expenses for projected reasonable future medical treatment
- Lost income/wages associated with time taken off work due to injuries or new disability
- Lost future earnings and lost earning ability when injuries result in disabilities that prevent the victim from working
- Pain and suffering, including both physical and emotional/mental pain and suffering
- Counseling services and other costs associated with treatment for trauma related to the accident/incident
In the event of a wrongful death, certain surviving family members can seek compensation for various damages, including medical bills, funeral expenses, loss of income, loss of household/childcare services, and loss of companionship, guidance, support, and/or consortium.
Additionally, in some cases, such as cases involving drunk drivers, it may be possible to seek punitive damages. These are meant to punish egregiously negligent parties and prevent them from acting in such negligent ways again in the future.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
As a full service personal injury law firm based in St. Louis and serving clients throughout the state of Missouri, The Dixon Injury Firm is equipped to handle all types of personal injury claims.
Our firm handles the following personal injury matters:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- Bicycle car accidents
- Car accidents
- Golf cart accidents
- Truck accidents
- Metrolink accidents
- Public transportation accidents
- Bus accidents
- Snowmobile accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Premises liability
- Slip and falls
- Dog bites
- Shooting accidents
- Nursing home abuse
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Cell phone accidents
- Trampoline accidents
- Product liability
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death
- Medical malpractice
- Workers’ compensation claims
- Class action lawsuits
- Defective drugs and medical devices
This is not an exhaustive list; to learn more about our different practice areas, please browse our website or contact us directly.
When you’ve been injured as a result of someone else’s careless or reckless actions, you need a legal team that can protect your rights and fight tirelessly for you. The Dixon Injury Firm is ready to serve as the zealous advocate you deserve during this difficult time. Our St. Louis personal injury lawyers are committed to being a voice for the voiceless and helping innocent victims of negligence obtain the justice they deserve. We are here to answer all of your questions and address any concerns you may have throughout the legal process.