When It Is Worth Getting a Car Accident Lawyer?
March 31, 2022 | Car Accidents
If another driver’s negligence injures you in a car accident, you may wonder if it’s worth hiring a car accident lawyer. Traffic crashes are overwhelming, and the thought of hiring a lawyer may seem like an additional step that you’d prefer to avoid. However, the services of a car accident lawyer can improve the outcome of your claim, so it is worth it to hire one following car accident injuries.
Is It Worth Getting a Car Accident Lawyer?
Yes. Hiring a car accident lawyer to represent you is worth it for many reasons.
Some of the primary reasons why working with a dedicated car accident lawyer is always a good idea include:
- Your car accident lawyer will skillfully gather all the evidence pertinent to your claim, including eyewitness testimony, police reports, etc.
- Your car accident lawyer will build your strongest claim, outlining your covered losses (or legal damages) in pursuit of just compensation that allows you the best chance of recovering to the degree possible.
- Your car accident lawyer will ensure that your entire range of losses, including those that stretch into the future, are well represented in your claim.
- Your car accident lawyer will communicate with the involved insurance company on your behalf. Insurance reps are accustomed to coaxing claim-damaging statements out of claimants like you, and it’s best not to give yours the opportunity.
- Your car accident lawyer will skillfully negotiate with the insurance company for a settlement that fairly addresses your losses.
- Your car accident lawyer will help ensure that you understand the claims process and make the best choices for yourself along the way.
- Your car accident lawyer will prepare your case for trial. While most car accident claims are settled out of court, moving forward by filing a lawsuit against the insurance company may be necessary if it refuses to negotiate in good faith and being well prepared is critical.
- Your accident lawyer will hold the insurance company responsible for acting within the parameters of the laws that govern the industry.
Each of these is an essential step in the process, and your car accident lawyer is well prepared to take them all on.
Some Points to Keep in Mind
The answer to whether it is worth getting a car accident lawyer is a resounding yes, but there are several other steps you can take to help protect your car accident claim and recovery along the way.
- Seeking medical care post-accident even if you don’t think you were seriously injured
- Carefully following your doctor’s instructions and advice
- Helping your car accident lawyer help you by following their advice closely and by not signing off on anything until after you’ve gone over it with them
- Allowing your attorney to make any necessary statements on your behalf for the insurance company (you are not obligated to give the insurance rep a recorded statement, and doing so can inadvertently harm your claim)
- Laying low on social media while your claim is pending. (The insurance company will watch you, and there’s no reason to provide the company with the material it can twist to its purposes.)
Can I Afford a Car Accident Lawyer?
Another driver’s negligence injured you, and the medical bills and lost earnings you experience can be overwhelming in and of themselves. Therefore, the thought of adding the expense of a car accident attorney may be more than you can consider at this juncture. However, the truth is that most reputable car accident lawyers work on what is known as contingency.
This arrangement means that your car accident lawyer’s pay will be contingent upon your settlement. If your claim settles or you prevail with a court award, your car accident lawyer will receive a prearranged percentage of the amount. If not, however, you won’t owe anything.
Your car accident lawyer accepts the financial risk so you can focus on regaining your health and well-being while they pursue your just compensation. With a trusted car accident lawyer in your corner, you significantly improve your ability to recover fully on your covered losses.
The losses you suffer due to the other driver’s negligence can be very significant, and in addition to property damage to your vehicle, they fall into three primary groupings.
To begin with, you’ll likely have expenses related to emergency services. You can also experience costs related to surgery, hospitalization, treatments and tests, chiropractic care, rehab, pain management, and much more.
Many injuries are slow to heal, and they can also lead to complications and secondary concerns that require ongoing healthcare needs. Your car accident lawyer will make sure that your claim includes a clear representation of all these expenses (concerning your recovery in the long term).
Lost wages are also an important consideration when it comes to car accidents. While you’re tending to the recovery process, you’ll likely be off the job and will probably experience a decrease in wages as a result.
If your losses include a reduction in earning potential into the future, the matter is that much more financially challenging. Your car accident lawyer knows how to skillfully weave the full scope of your lost earnings into your car accident claim.
Physical and Emotional Pain and Suffering
One of the most challenging aspects of many car accidents is the physical and emotional pain and suffering you endure. While this category of loss is all too real, it can be complicated to address meaningfully and accurately in a car accident claim and placed in the capable hands of your car accident lawyer.
It’s a Good Time to Consult an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer
If another driver’s negligence leaves you injured, the associated costs can be overwhelming, and the thought of hiring a car accident lawyer may feel like it is simply too much.
However, working closely with a knowledgeable car accident lawyer significantly improves your chances of fully recovering compensation for your physical, financial, and emotional losses.
Insurance companies might tell you there is no need for a car accident attorney, but this is a tactic they use against claimants. The adjuster wants to minimize your claim, and they know an attorney will fight for maximum compensation, so they advise you not to hire one. Without a lawyer, you risk ending up with far less than you deserve, and the adjuster knows this.
Never risk falling for insurance company tricks. Instead, if an adjuster calls you, politely inform them you plan to hire legal representation. Then, consult with a car accident lawyer who can handle all communications moving forward.
While your lawyer takes care of your insurance claim, you can focus on keeping up with your medical treatment and improving your physical condition. You can do this with peace of mind that someone is protecting your rights.
After a serious accident, many people do not know what to do. They might try to navigate the legal process without hiring legal help, and they might become quickly overwhelmed. If you are unsure of how to proceed following your crash and injuries, remember it is always worth it to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer about your situation.