Hurt by Taxotere Complications?
Taxotere is a drug that is commonly used to treat women with breast cancer after surgery to prevent the spreading of cancer cells. Recently, it has been found that this drug is linked to permanent hair loss in addition to a slew of other side effects. If you or someone you love has experienced worsened cancer symptoms or permanent hair loss after taking Taxotere, you could be entitled to compensation for your suffering. Our St. Louis defective drug lawyers understand how painful it can be to deal with the terrible side effects of this drug, so they are dedicated to making sure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation for your case.
Side Effects of Taxotere
Various stages and forms of breast cancer require different types of treatment. Some cancers are more aggressive, while others are more treatable. If a patient has early-stage breast cancer that has spread to their lymph nodes or late-stage breast cancer that has resisted treatment from drugs such as doxorubicin or other chemotherapy drugs, Taxotere may be used post-surgery.
Taxotere users may experience some or all of the following side effects that range in severity:
- Hair loss: Breast cancer treatment with Taxotere can cause hair loss in patients, both minor and severe, or even cause a patient’s hair color to change.
- Low white blood cell count or susceptibility to infection: White blood cells help stave off infection and other illnesses. If a breast cancer patient’s white blood cell count is low, they have a higher risk of getting sick or contracting an infection that could decrease their ability to fight against the aggressive disease.
- Low red blood cell count: This heightens the risk for anemia, which could cause serious fatigue and an overall lower quality of life while battling breast cancer.
- Nausea or vomiting: Some Taxotere users may experience severe nausea or vomiting to the point that it causes weight loss, lack of appetite, and more issues. It is essential while battling an aggressive disease such as breast cancer to keep one’s strength up and make sure that you’re receiving the proper amount of nutrients, and nausea interferes with this basic necessity.
- Muscle, bone, and joint pain: Chemotherapy and radiation can be harsh on the body, but severe muscle, bone, and joint pain could be a sign that a patient has a blood infection or an additional problem that could be caused by their low white blood cell count from Taxotere.
- Fluid retention: Some fluid retention can occur while undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer, but if fluid is retained around the areas of the heart or other areas of the chest, this can become life-threatening.
It is critical while undergoing treatment for breast cancer to focus on your well-being, including your rights to file a personal injury claim with our Taxotere lawyers in St. Louis. If you were not informed by your physician of the side effects of Taxotere before taking it and have suffered damages from the drug, you could be entitled to compensation.
Our lawyers offer free consultations and are available 24/7 to explore the options for your Taxotere lawsuit in St. Louis. Just dial (314) 208-2808.
Defective Drug Claims
Permanent Hair Loss & Taxotere
Hair loss is believed to be the most common side effect of undergoing chemotherapy and radiation to shrink and decrease cancer cells. Taxotere was approved by the FDA in 1996 for use in breast cancer patients post-operation. Over the years, some patients who have been treated with the drug have reported that they have experienced severe or permanent hair loss, beyond what is typically seen in chemotherapy patients.
According to a 2013 study, up to 15% of women treated with Taxotere will experience permanent hair loss. Hair loss is a side effect that is listed on the drug’s label, but it wasn’t until 2015 that “in some cases, permanent hair loss has been observed” was added to the label. During an investigation done by the FDA, it was found that the company that produces Taxotere, Sanofi, hid results from a trial done on the drug that showed that Taxotere causes permanent hair loss in up to 9% of users.
Missouri Taxotere Lawsuits
Over the years, there has been an increasing number of lawsuits filed against the company Sanofi and their drug Taxotere. Most of these lawsuits are related to the drug’s side effect of permanent hair loss in users. While there isn’t currently a class action lawsuit against the company, most victims who have filed a valid personal injury claim against the company have recovered compensation.
If you or someone you love has experienced permanent hair loss from the drug Taxotere, you may be entitled to damages for your hardship and physical disfigurement. Our Taxotere lawyers can analyze your case, help you write a demand letter for the damages you’re seeking, and aid in filing an injury claim for your case. Additionally, Sanofi is a large medical company that is insured by large insurance companies that can be difficult to negotiate with – our Taxotere attorneys can negotiate with Sanofi’s insurance company until you receive a settlement that you’re happy to accept and make sure that you’re relatively stress-free during this difficult time.
What Damages Could I Receive for a Missouri Taxotere Lawsuit?
The most important element of your Taxotere lawsuit is a powerful demand letter that includes the full damages that you’re seeking. Speaking with our lawyers will give you a better idea of what damages you can claim in your lawsuit, what grounds you have to claim these damages, and how you should proceed with your case after submitting your demand letter and claim.
Some of the more common types of damages that are claimed in Taxotere lawsuits include:
- Medical bills and therapy for Taxotere treatment: Taxotere treatments can often be costly, and permanent hair loss can be traumatic, so if you have suffered permanent hair loss from Taxotere, you could be eligible to recover damages for medical bills such as treatment costs, hospital check-ups or therapy needed for emotional damages from your loss.
- Pain and suffering: Emotional distress is a symptom that can commonly accompany temporary or permanent hair loss. If you have been treated with the chemotherapy drug Taxotere and have experienced severe emotional or physical distress, you may be eligible to recover pain and suffering damages.
- Missing wages: Lost wages due to taking time off work for treatment sessions with Taxotere can be reclaimed with your Taxotere lawsuit, as well as any lost work hours that were caused by emotional or physical distress because of the drug.
Not everyone is eligible to recover damages for their Taxotere lawsuit, but our Taxotere lawyers in St. Louis can help determine if you have a valid claim. Our St. Louis personal injury lawyers are committed to helping those who have suffered from this chemotherapy drug that has brought unnecessary pain and suffering to hundreds of women and will help you create a powerful claim against Sanofi. If you or someone you love has suffered terrible side effects from the chemotherapy drug Taxotere such as permanent hair loss, severe fluid retention, or more, feel free to contact our Taxotere lawyers about your case today.
The Dixon Injury Firm
9666 Olive Blvd #202,
St. Louis, MO 63132