Rear-End Accident Attorney In STL
The Dixon Injury Firm provides thorough and knowledgeable legal care for accident victims throughout Missouri and Illinois. When you or someone you love has been the victim of a rear-end accident, our rear-end accident lawyers in St. Louis are here to help you protect your best interests. We can guide you through your car accident injury case and see to it that you and your family are provided for during this trying time. Whether you need financial assistance because of loss of work, medical bills, or to pay for the costs of recovery associated with any injuries sustained because of the rear-end accident, Christopher R. Dixon and his team of STL car accident lawyers can and will provide you with high-quality legal guidance.
Who Is At Fault in a Rear-End Accident?
Rear-end accidents are all about proving negligence. Did the other driver see you slowing down, did you break to abruptly, was the other driver texting and driving? There are numerous factors that can lead to a rear-end accident, but the courts determine fault in a rear-end accident case by determining negligence. But how is negligence determined when most individuals only have 0.75 – 1.5 seconds to react to a vehicle breaking in front of them? The answer is speed and distance. When a rear-end accident happens, determining how much space was available between the two vehicles is crucial. If both vehicles were traveling at least 60mph, then they were covering a distance of 132 feet every second. In terms of highway speed and distance, this is a minute amount. If the rear driver was too close to the lead vehicle, then the rear driver will not be able to react in time and will be mostly liable for a rear-end accident.
Right of way is also very important in determining fault in a rear-end accident claim. If a vehicle is merging onto the street or highway and strikes a vehicle from behind that was already traveling on that road, then the vehicle that merged onto the road is more likely to be liable for the rear-end accident. For more information about car accident statistics, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides great information.
How Can I Avoid a Rear-End Accident?
There are several methods you can use to avoid rear-end accidents, both as the forward and rear car.
We recommend following or using these methods:
- Drive a car that has auto breaking: Auto breaking is an incredible technology. If you are distracted by something happening within the car, or outside of it, and your attention is momentarily diverted from the road, this technology feature can automatically break your car in the event of an impending collision. As this feature continues to be fine-tuned, more car manufacturers are making this feature a standard across the industry.
- Maintain at least a 3-second gap: The majority of rear-end collisions happen because the rear driver doesn’t have an adequate amount of time to react to a change in speed from the leading vehicle. Maintaining at least a 3-second gap between you and the vehicle in front of you will allow you the time you need to appropriately respond to any change in speed or direction.
- Ensure that your brake lights are working: Brake lights are integral to letting the vehicle behind you know that you are slowing or changing direction. If your brake lights aren’t operational, and an accident ensues, you can be held liable for the accident, maybe even fully liable.
- Slow down during bad road conditions: If road conditions are bad, such as heavy rain, thick snow, or ice, slow down! It is more important to arrive alive and a little late, than not arrive at all. Use common sense when driving, and if road conditions aren’t ideal, slow down.
Fighting for the Compensation You Deserve
The Dixon Injury Law Firm is an industry leader when it comes to protecting the interests of accident victims. During cases like these, the responsible party, their lawyers, and the insurance agencies are going to try to get you to settle for as little as possible and attempt to place as much blame as possible on you. This will allow them to settle quickly and against your best interests. That’s why it is so vitally important to let Christopher R. Dixon and the rest of our personal injury accident attorneys in St. Louis defend your best interests against the responsible party, their lawyers, and the insurance corporations.
Here at The Dixon Injury Firm, we have a complete understanding of the most recent Missouri and Illinois traffic laws and statutes and can use this knowledge to defend you or your loved ones during this trying time.
Let our team of highly skilled legal professionals provide you with the quality representation you need. Contact our firm today to schedule an appointment.
The Dixon Injury Firm
9666 Olive Blvd #202,
St. Louis, MO 63132
Related Car Accident Causes:
- Autonomous Vehicle Accidents
- Bad Weather Auto Accidents
- Brake Malfunction Accidents
- Chain-Reaction Car Accident
- Distracted Driving Accident
- Elderly Driver Auto Accident
- Failure to Yield Auto Accident
- Fender Bender Accidents
- Head-On Collisions
- Hit & Runs
- Parking Lot Accidents
- Rental Car Accidents
- Road Construction Accidents
- Side Impacts
- Texting & Driving
- Tire Blowouts
- Underinsured Motorists
- Uninsured Motorists
- Whiplash Auto Accidents
- Wrong-Way Crashes