St. Louis Car Accident Lawyers
Why You Need an Attorney to Get Fair Compensation
If you were injured in a car crash in the St. Louis area, it’s important that you reach out to an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. After the accident, you could be dealing with serious injuries, doctor’s appointments, and mounting medical bills. If you are unable to work while you recover, you could find yourself facing significant financial hardships. An attorney can help you file a claim against the at-fault motorist’s insurance provider and seek fair financial compensation for your damages.
At The Dixon Injury Firm, we proudly represent clients in St. Louis and throughout Missouri. Our team of St. Louis car accident lawyers has the experience, resources, and skill to effectively navigate the legal system on your behalf. The liable insurance company may try to dispute or deny your claim, alleging that you were the one to blame for the accident. But our firm knows how to fight back—with past experience in insurance defense, our attorneys know the tactics they employ and they know how to aggressively defend your rights.
Your time to file a car accident claim is limited—don’t wait! Call The Dixon Injury Firm at (314) 208-2808 today to schedule a free initial consultation. Our St. Louis car accident lawyers are standing by, ready to help.
Car Accident Statistics
- According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 52 percent of all personal injury claims involve motor vehicle accidents.
- According to ASIRT, over 37,000 people die in car-related accidents each year.
- Nearly 10 percent of traffic-related fatalities are because of distracted driving, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Nearly 20% of auto accidents are linked to winter weather conditions; of the 130,000 annual accidents, there are approximately 1,800 fatalities.
- The majority of traffic-related accidents involve speeding, driving under the influence, bad weather, and other road hazards.
- The most common types of car crash injuries include burns, spine and back damage, soft tissue injuries, and broken bones.
- Car accidents cost more than $225 billion a year in medical treatments, lost wages, and lost productivity.
How Much Is My Car Accident Claim Worth?
Because every case is unique, it is impossible to determine exactly how much a given claim might be worth without first going over the specifics of your situation. That being said, there are certain statistics that show, generally, how much a car accident claim could be worth. Please keep in mind that these averages are by no means guarantees, nor do they mean that you cannot recover more in your particular car accident claim.
Typically, insurers pay half of accident fees, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The amount of compensation you can receive depends on the case. Typically, car crash claims take things like lost wages, medical bills and future rehabilitation, pain and suffering, and punitive damages into consideration. The average award for an injury claim is somewhere around $31,000.
How Long After an Accident Do You Have to File a Claim?
Most states have a statute of limitations on car accident claims, which limits the amount of time victims have to file a lawsuit for damages. In Missouri, the statute of limitations on car accident cases is five years from the date of the accident, meaning you only have five years to bring your claim to a St. Louis car accident attorney. However, the sooner you contact us after the crash, the sooner we can begin gathering evidence and building a case on your behalf.
Types of Car Accident Claims We Handle
The Dixon Injury Firm has recovered more than $50 million in damages for our clients, many of them victims of car accidents. Our team has experience in all types of car accident claims and can assist you with your case, regardless of its complexity.
Some of the types of car accident cases we commonly handle include:
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Speeding crashes
- Rear-end collisions
- Distracted driving accidents
- Wrongful death claims
- Pedestrian accidents
- Whiplash injuries
- Sideswipe collisions
- Parking lot accidents
- Texting and driving crashes
- Bad weather accidents
- Car defect accidents
- Rental car crashes
- Fender bender injuries
- Teen car crashes
- Road construction accidents
- Tire blowout accidents
- Underinsured driver accidents
- Uninsured motorist claims
Common Causes of Car Accidents
The vast majority of car accidents are preventable, meaning that had the at-fault party taken the proper measures to drive safely and not put others at risk, they would not have caused the accident.
Examples of negligent car accident causes include:
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Texting and driving
- Dangerous road construction/design
- Traffic law violations
- Fatigued driving
- Defective vehicles/auto parts
- Poor weather conditions
- Eating and drinking while driving
The National Highway Traffic Administration reports that Missouri has had nearly 1,000 traffic fatalities every year for the past decade. Nearly a quarter of these were related to alcohol, while a third involved speeding.
As a leading car accident law firm in St. Louis, The Dixon Injury Firm brings a high level of care and sensitivity to every case. We understand how difficult car accident injuries can be for victims and their families, which is why we strive to provide each and every client with the compassion and personalized service they deserve.
Get in touch with our St. Louis car accident attorneys today by calling (314) 208-2808.
Common Injuries from Car Accidents
Car accident injuries range from minor to severe to fatal. The seriousness of the resulting injuries often depends on a number of factors, including how fast the vehicles were moving at the time of the impact, as well as their sizes and other additional factors.
Common car accident-related injuries include:
- Cuts and bruises
- Sprains and strains
- Broken bones/fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Herniated discs
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head, neck, back, and shoulder injuries
- Facial injuries
- Soft tissue damage
Many car accident injuries are incredibly serious, involving long recovery periods, ongoing medical treatment, in-home care, and severe emotional trauma. Fortunately, in Missouri, there is help available for you if you have been injured in a car accident that was not your fault. It is your legal right to file an injury claim against the person who caused the car accident. An experienced St. Louis car accident lawyer can help you win full compensation that you deserve to cover your damages.
A car accident injury claim seeks compensation for such things as damage to your vehicle, your medical costs until you fully recover, any loss of earnings you may have to endure, pain and suffering, punitive damages, and other accident-related damages. In Missouri, there is no cap on the amount of money that can be collected in a personal injury lawsuit.
Comparative Fault in Missouri
If a car accident takes place and you are found partially to blame for the accident, your compensation will be reduced by the percentage that is considered to be your fault. For example, if you and another car both ran a stop sign, it is possible that a jury would find each party 50% to blame. If this is the case, your compensation would then be reduced by 50%.
Insurance companies often try to say an accident victim was partially to blame in order to reduce the amount of money they must pay. However, they do not have the final word if you disagree. It is important to consult with an experienced car accident lawyer to make sure you are receiving full reimbursement for your losses. The insurance industry profits on taking advantage of people after a crash—an attorney at our firm can stand up for your rights!
How Can an Attorney Help with My Car Accident Case?
If you have been injured in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, it can be difficult to determine what steps you need to take following the crash. Hiring an attorney immediately after an accident offers support for dealing with your case, points you in the right direction, and ensures that you have not overlooked any crucial elements that will help you get closer to a win.
A few things you can ask your car accident attorney to help with are:
- Gathering evidence: The more evidence you have at your disposal, the better. But where do you find it? Your attorney will know how to obtain copies of the police reports, medical records, photos and videos from the accident, statements from witnesses, and more.
- Writing a demand letter: A demand letter should be detailed, compelling, and complete with an account of the damages you are claiming from the accident. Evidence that supports why you are eligible to recover those damages from the negligent party should also be included and clear.
- Bringing a claim: A successful claim requires a persuasive demand letter and substantial evidence from the accident. It also requires you to file the claim with the right court and to know how to respond to challenges. Again, your attorney should do this for you.
- Negotiating with the other party’s insurer: Once a claim is submitted, the insurance company will either accept or deny it. If it’s accepted, an attorney can negotiate with the other party’s insurer and demand compensation for your injuries and financial damages caused by the negligent driver. If it is not, then they can help you by preparing for litigation and offering in-court representation.
Your car accident attorney’s job is also to offer support during this difficult time and alleviate the stress of dealing with your car accident case. A good attorney will offer assistance in any way that they can, promptly answer any questions or concerns that you might have, and do everything in their power to produce the best results for your case. All the while, you should be able to sit back and take care of other important things in your life, like your health, family, and career.
Signs You Should Hire a Car Accident Attorney
Not every auto accident requires the input and guidance of a professional St. Louis car accident attorney, but many do. How can you know if you should be speaking with a lawyer after a crash?
You probably need a car accident attorney if the:
- Accident resulted in pain that does not go away within a day or two after the crash.
- Accident resulted in serious consequences, such as broken bones or wrongful death.
- Accident was caused by negligent behavior like texting or drunk driving.
- Accident was a hit-and-run and you need to collect evidence quickly.
- Accident involved an uninsured motorist or multiple drivers.
- Injuries you suffered require ongoing care and you cannot go back to work.
You should also consider hiring a car accident attorney if you don’t want to or can’t deal with the insurance company representing the opposing party or parties. Your lawyer will have legal knowledge and experience to gauge the value of your claim and evaluate if the insurance adjusters abided by the laws and regulations in your insurance policy. A good attorney will also ensure that you get a fair settlement offer or take your case to trial if the insurance company is trying to save money at your expense by offering you less than your case is worth.
How Can You Get a Larger Settlement?
One of the biggest mistakes car accident victims make is settling without knowing the full extent of their injuries. It is tempting to take whatever offer the insurance companies give you. You might have bills piling up, have been missing work, and are paying for alternative transportation, so anything will sound good. But do not be too hasty. If you rush things, then you are highly likely to get a smaller settlement than you need.
To get a larger settlement, the first step is often to hire legal representation because:
- You’re probably not in the best position to negotiate/haggle with insurers. If you’ve suffered any major injuries, your focus should be to get well and manage finances as best as you can.
- From a practical standpoint, an insurer offering what may seem like a fair settlement will hesitate when a lawyer becomes involved. They can no longer “buy you out” based on policy caps, and frequently reconsider with a higher counteroffer.
- Sending a prompt and effective demand letter is equally important. An attorney can help you formulate your case and back it up with facts, figures, and other information that justifies your claim.
There Is No Fee Unless We Win
The Dixon Injury Firm is committed to providing affordable and experienced representation to anyone who needs legal counseling after a car accident. Our St. Louis car accident lawyers are passionate about helping clients with their cases and strive to maximize their recoveries.
Your first consultation with our team is completely free of charge so that you have one less thing to worry about. Additionally, The Dixon Injury Firm uses a contingency fee plan, which means that if we do not win damages in your car accident claim, you won’t have to pay for our services. If you have been involved in a car accident and need a car accident attorney, don’t hesitate to contact The Dixon Injury Firm for more information about how our attorneys can help you with your car accident case today. Our St. Louis car accident lawyers are ready to dedicate their time, efforts, and resources to helping you get back on your feet.